Saturday, September 4, 2010

Curry Sauce

Here's an easy sauce to add punch to chicken or pork that you've browned.  It's my husband's favorite.  It goes well over potatoes or rice and vegetables, such as cooked carrots and celery.

2-3 shallots, chopped
bell pepper, sliced

1 15-oz can coconut milk or 1 pint cream or half and half
1 T sweet curry
1 T spicy curry

1. Caramelize shallots in saucepan for 10 min at a low sizzle in olive oil and/or butter.
2.  Add bell pepper and sizzle for 5 more min to complete carmelization of shallots and to cook pepper.
3. Add coconut milk or cream and curries. Simmer at least 3 min.

5 comments:

  1. Is curry alright? I have been wondering this for a while. I have started my own journey down migraine free cooking and a blog to use as my journal as well as to share recipes as well. Curry is something I have been mildly wary, but without reason. Thanks, Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elizabeth, you probably found your answer ages ago. Homemade curries are mixes of spices, all of which are allowed in the HYH diet. If buying pre-made mixes, i always check the label for additives. Good luck with your migraine free cooking and thanks for your website!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just starting the Migraine Free diet. Is coconut OK? I thought all nuts were prohibited.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!, Good luck with the diet. I hope you find some relief! I later found out that the recommendation is coconut oil and milk in moderation (check ingredients - Trader Joe's has coconut milk without additives). Avoid coconut flakes. Coconut is technically a seed rather than a nut, but it's still a food to be cautious about.

    Personally, I have not had any difficulty tolerating coconut milk. If you'd like to use a different ingredient the first months on the diet, please feel free to post a suggestion (does whole milk work?).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for your reply. I will try it with coconut!

    ReplyDelete