Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Vanilla Extract

Vanilla beans are available at most health food stores and spice specialty stores.

3/4 c Vodka
Vanilla, about 2-4 beans (however many come in a packet), sliced lengthwise

1. Pour vodka and vanilla (entire bean, pod and seeds) in a glass bottle. I washed out a soy sauce bottle and marked a "full" line with indelible ink for adding more vodka later.
2. Shake, store in a dark cupboard. Wait 2 weeks before first use, shaking occasionally. Shake just before using. Add more vodka as needed.
3. Replace vanilla beans after 6 months.

(Ruth Yaron, 1999. See "References".)

2 comments:

  1. This is a good read i have done today so far, I am delighted to came across it. I'll be back again to check out other posts as well.
    extra long grain rice

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good site post, i am delighted I came across it. I will be back down the track to check out other posts that
    usa sultana raisins

    ReplyDelete