Tuesday, March 30, 2010
I like cereal and look forward to eating this granola in the morning with milk. I always eat fresh fruit with breakfast; fresh berries in the granola are nice. I started making my own vanilla since I use so much, see "staples" list. I also started buying herbs and spices in bulk from a spice shop and sesame seeds from a health food store.
Parchment paper is wonderful for easy cleanup and, in this recipe, to prevent the granola from sticking to the pans. It can be found in the store next to aluminum foil. I save used paper and reuse.
5 c rolled oats
1 c raw sunflower seeds
1 c raw sesame seeds
1 c flaxseeds (I use roasted whole, ground flaxseed is fine)
1/2 c wheat germ
2 t cinnamon
1 c vegetable oil, sunflower oil works well
1 c honey
2 T vanilla
Bake at 350 °F, 18-20 min, until toasted light brown
1. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In very large bowl, stir together oats, coconut, sunflower, flax, and sesame seeds, wheat germ, and cinnamon. A wooden spoon works well.
3. in 2 c glass measuring cup, mix together oil, honey, and vanilla.
4. Pour liquid ingredients into bowl of dry ingredients. Stir with large wooden spoon. Spread onto 2 cookie sheets. Bake (see "Bake" above).
5. Let cool completely. Then break into bite size pieces.
Store on a shelf in sealed containers.